Thursday, August 14, 2014

Precious and Magical Water

Every morning I walk out in my back yard and check the irrigation ditch that runs through my property.  Every thirty or forty days or so in the dry months the ditch will be filled with flowing water.  The rancher to the southwest breeds horses and rancher to the northwest raises cattle.  They irrigate their large fields to raise wheat and other grains to feed their animals.  Some of the overflow runs through the ditch to a nearby creek.  

Numerous neighbors, including myself, have dug small ponds which capture this water and provide water for wildlife and for human enjoyment. 
 

I pump water out of this ditch and irrigate our trees and shrubs.  We will sometimes have six hoses running at the same time, and move them around every forty minutes or so.  Over the last fourteen years I have put in many white PVC pipes underground to bring this treasured water to where it is need. 


 "If there is magic on the planet, it is contained in the water."
-  Loren Eisley


"A river seems a magic thing. A magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself."
- Laura Gilpin


No comments:

Post a Comment