Monday, January 19, 2015

Getting On in Years and Getting on with Life

My birthday was in January.  My mother, June, gave birth to me at the White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles.  I remember little of my very early years, and what memories I have are pleasant ones.

My earliest memory is playing with carpenter's tools as a toddler.  My dad built the house that we lived in during my childhood and teenage years. 

In 2015, I will be 69 years of age.

I plan and expect it to be a productive year in 2015 in terms of fitness activities, writing, reading, mind-body arts practices, work, gardening, home improvements, some travel in the Northwest, and fun activities with family and friends.

We are anxiously awaiting news from the Oregon Health and Science University Hospital in Portland, Oregon, that they have a kidney available for transplanting in my son.  He has been on dialysis for three years.  He began his struggles with kidney disease when he was 19 years of age.  Karen will stay in Portland to help during his recovery from the surgery.

As of now, Karen and I are in reasonably good health.  We cope and manage our chronic health problems.  Local and area (Redding and Chico) medical care is good. 

Our income from work, investments, and Social Security are sufficient for a very comfortable lifestyle in rural Red Bluff.  I still am employed for 24 hours a week for nine months of each year, and am thinking of retiring when I am 72 years of age. 

Most of the time, I have many more projects and activities than I can accomplish.  Therefore, some objectives are not accomplished or others only half-completed.  I am never bored and feel pretty good about my accomplishments. 

Aging

How to Live the Good Life




                                                             1946
                                             My mother and father and I



                                                             1947



                                                  Karen and I in 1968




                                                            1974




                                                             1981



                                                             1984


                                                          
                                                           1989
                                             Alicia, Me, Karen and Michael D.





                                                              2000



                                                             2015


2 comments:

  1. I hope that your son receives his transplant and lives a long and healthy life. My father died of kidney failure when he was thirty-six years of age and left four children.

    I stumbled upon your site looking for a specific Lao Tze translation, nice website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your father's death at such a young age - about the same age as my son. Thanks for your concern!
    My Tao Te Ching index is pretty thorough: http://www.egreenway.com/taoism/ttclzindex.htm

    ReplyDelete