Sunday, August 09, 2015

Help With Arthritis

Help with Arthritis: Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Yoga, Walking, and Diet   Bibliography, links, resources, recommended books, information, quotations, tips, and research.  By Michael P. Garofalo.  

For the past six years, I have had increasing pain, discomfort, and joint problems caused by arthritis.  Osteoarthritis effects my toes, fingers, tailbone, and shoulder.

My orthopedist has recommended surgery on my right shoulder, and my podiatrist has recommended surgery on my right big toe.  Not an unusual report for a 69 year old big man.  As of yet, I have not had any surgeries to help with my arthritis. 

I don't take any oral medications specifically targeting arthritis.  I take two ibuprophen tablets approximately two times in any ten day period.

I practice t'ai chi ch'uan, chi kung, yoga, walking, and gardening. 

I favor a non-inflamatory diet with lots of vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, fruits and salads.  For example, my breakfast each morning consists of 2/3 dry cup of half steel cut oats and half quinoa, with raisins, almonds, and butter added to the cooked grains; along with coffee and creamer.  I start with about 900 calories for breakfast.  Since I weight between 250 and 260 pounds, and am very active, I need a few more calories than smaller people. 

Hopefully, these health practices, will slow the progress of my osteoarthritis, keep me limber, allow me to be active, and ameliorate the, thus far, modest pain and discomfort.

Many experts have recommended that persons suffering from osteoarthritis practice T'ai Chi Ch'aun, particularly Sun Style Taijiquan.

My webpages on the subject of exercise might be useful to persons with this health problem:

Help with Arthritis: Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Yoga, Walking, and Diet

Qigong (Chi Kung) Exercises for Fitness and Good Health

T'ai Chi Ch'uan Exercises 






Tai Chi for Arthritis - 12 Lessons with Dr. Paul Lam, M.D..   Instructional DVD, 2009.  2 Discs, 300 Minutes.  VSCL. 

Gentle Yoga for Arthritis: A Safe and Easy Approach to Better Health and Well-Being through Yoga.  By Laurie Sanford and Nancy Forstbauer.  Hatherleigh Press, 2014.  112 pages.  ISBN: 978-1578264483.  


Arthritis Relief: Chinese Qigong for Healing and Prevention  By Grandmaster Yang Jwing Ming.  YMAA Publications Center, 3rd Edition, 2005.  Index, 2014 pages.  ISBN: 978-1594390333.   VSCL.  

The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease.  By Susan Blum, MD and MPH; and Michele Bender.  Foreword by Mark Hyman, M.D..  Scribner, 2013.  384 pages.  ISBN: 978-1451694970.  VSCL. 
 






2 comments:

  1. You might find useful Norman Doidge's "The Brains Way of Healing," available on Amazon and others, and extensively reviewed by readers. The first chapter is about "pain," and the fourth chapter about the use of soft lasers (light) for repairing the body. Both chapters reference osteo-arthritis, among many things. A serious book, but very readable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt,
    Thanks for the suggestion about the book by Norman Doidge. The meanings of "pain" are indeed complicated - see my brief remarks under 'Tips' on the webpage. I've read that light treatments might help people with diabetic neuropathy.
    Stay well,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete